Apartment Aromatherapy: The Power of Scent
Have you ever walk into someone’s home and felt… comfy?
If you’ve ever walked into a place, breathed in, and felt at home…or energized…or relaxed, you get it. From grandma’s baked bread wafting through her home to a luxurious leather-filled condo, home scents can be powerful. Here’s how the smell of your apartment makes you feel.
Aromatherapy to the Rescue
From increasing energy to reducing stress to inducing relaxation, aromas can work wonders to balance the body and mind. Research shows that smell can actually change your brain chemistry. So how can you accomplish what you want, when?
Get That Homey Feeling
To find out how to make your home attractive, just look to the professionals. Realtors have found that smells evict a sense of homey-ness and can be powerful motivators in the home buying process. Smells like vanilla, baking bread, coffee, and even white tea and figs are impactful in creating a soothing and comforting home environment, making home buyers rush to sign the paperwork. Take a page from the real estate world and use smell to create freshness and warmth in your own home.
What to Use
Strong aromatherapy scents, such as essential oils, can bring about just about any effect you want. In order to find your favorite aromatherapy blend, figure out your goal. What would you like to accomplish in your home’s smell?
- Perhaps you want your apartment to smell clean and fresh in preparation for a visit from the in-laws. To get that clean smell, like fresh laundry on a sunny day, create your own clean cotton fragrance oil. Blend floral, lilac, and jasmine for a cottony summer smell. Bonus: Add it to your dryer sheets to distribute the smell through the house.
- Perhaps you want to boost your energy before launching into a cleaning frenzy or an all-night work project. If you need to revitalize, pick up the pace with a grapefruit, lime, and orange essential oil blend.
- Want to induce relaxation at night? To help relax in preparation for a good night’s sleep or to improve focus, go for lavender oil.
- Love a summer breeze? Mix lemon, lime, orange, and spearmint essential oils. Or blend fragrant strawberry, orange, and lemongrass. Capture the essence of travel-filled sunny skies with a blend of passion fruit, grapefruit, tangerine, lime, pineapple, coconut, and vanilla.
- If you love the smell of earthy spring, think herbs and plants like eucalyptus, jasmine, and oregano. Play around with several blends until you find your favorite. Or make your own blend using popular scents like peppermint, rose, mandarin, and clary sage.
Establish Your Ideal Home
What is your ideal home? If your idea of home is a remote cabin in the woods, make your apartment feel like your best version of comfort. Create an inviting, cabin atmosphere by stocking up on pine, spruce, and cypress oils.
Or if you feel most at home when you walk into your family’s house each each holiday, get the warmth of the holidays year-round, that feeling that something good is cooking, with apple, cinnamon, orange, and clove.
No matter what your version of home is, you can have fun emulating it with an essential oil blend (and a little creativity).Find Your Sanctuary